Babri demolition accused acquitted

 Babri demolition accused acquitted

Ayodhya Ram Mandir

A Special CBI court hearing the Babri mosque demolition case of December 6, 1992, acquitted all the 32 accused on September 30 saying it was spontaneous and not a planned move.
Those acquitted in the case that lasted 28 years include former Deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani, former Union Ministers M.M. Joshi, Uma Bharti, former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh and Mahant Nritya Gopal Das, among others.
Former BJP MP Vinay Katiyar and Sadhvi Rithambhara, who were among the accused present in court, said: “Sab Ramji ki kripa hai”.
As soon as the court announced the acquittal of the accused, jubilation broke out outside the court, in Ayodhya and Lucknow where supporters of the leaders were present to celebrate the occasion.
Special CBI judge S.K. Yadav, in his verdict, said that the demolition was not a planned incident but a spontaneous act. He said that Ashok Singhal and other Sangh Parivar leaders wanted to save the structure as Ram Lalla statues were inside.
The court observed that leaders who were present on the dais repeatedly tried to persuade the ‘kar sewaks’ against taking any action on that day.
The court further said the CBI has failed to substantiate the charges levelled against the 32 accused persons. The court also said that the video recordings submitted to the court were ‘tampered with’.
The judge pointed out that the prosecution could not produce enough evidence against the accused. He said that the authenticity of audio, video provided by CBI could not be proven and the audio of the speeches were not clear. The court also said that those who climbed on the dome, were anti-social elements.
The 26 accused persons who were present in court, said that they had always maintained that the demolition was a conspiracy by the then Congress government. Babri plaintiff, Iqbal Ansari, said in Ayodhya that after the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the Ram temple last year, the demolition case had lost its relevance.
“I welcome acquittal of the 32 persons by the court. There should be no further dispute on the matter,” he said.
Lal Krishna Advani , who spearheaded the Ayodhya movement, hailed the acquittal of 32 accused, including him, by a special CBI court in December 6, 1992 Babri mosque demolition case.
Advani, who appeared in the court through video conferencing, welcomed the court order and said, “The judgment vindicates my personal and BJP’s belief and commitment towards the Ram Janmabhoomi movement.”
“I am grateful to my party workers, leaders, saints, and all those through selfless involvement and sacrifices gave me strength and support during the Ayodhya movement,” Advani said in a statement.
He also thanked the party leaders, seers and his legal team for the joint efforts, which led to the foundation laying ceremony in Ayodhya for the temple. He said he looks forward to the construction of a grand and beautiful Ram Temple.
Reacting on the verdict, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath welcomed the acquittal of all 32 accused in the Babri mosque demolition case and said that the court verdict proved the maxim ‘Satyamev Jayate’ or truth prevails.
In a statement, he said that the verdict proved that various Hindu leaders and seers were “falsely implicated” by the then Congress government at the Centre, which was driven by its policy of political appeasement.
The Chief Minister said that the Congress should now “apologise for its deeds” after the court judgment.
The Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP), which has been at the forefront of the Ram Janmabhoomi movement, claimed “vindication of truth and justice” after Wednesday’s court verdict on Babri demolition acquitting all accused. Interestingly, the VHP also called the case against all the accused who are acquitted today as “conspiracy theory”.
“The judgment in the criminal case relating to disputed structure in Ayodhya is a vindication of truth and justice. Sadly, it has taken 28 years for the Courts to deliver justice. This judgment, now hopefully draws the final curtains on an issue that had been agitating the Hindu psyche for some 472 years,” said VHP’s international working President Alok Kumar.
Kumar further claimed that “Ram Bhakts” have suffered their implication in false cases and the trial that stretched for 28 long years. The case was based on 49 FIRs, 351 witnesses produced by the Prosecution and some 600 documents, he added. Highlighting the long legal battle, Kumar stressed how the tenure of the Presiding Judge had to be extended several times, beyond his retirement.
The VHP remembered the 17 accused who died during the trial which include Ashok Singhal, Mahant Avaidyanath, Pujya Paramhans Ramchandra Das, Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia, Acharya Giriraj Kishore, Bal Thackeray, Vishnu Hari Dalmia and Baikunth Lal Sharma.
The VHP said that moving forward from the verdict on the demolition of Babri the focus should be on the completion of a Grand Temple at Ramjanmabhoomi, the eradication of social inequalities and bringing about social, educational and economic upliftment of the Scheduled Castes, Tribes and other economically backward sections of Society as also to build a strong and stable nation, which can fight the attacks and challenges “from within and at the borders”.
After the special CBI court in Lucknow acquitted all the accused charged with conspiracy to demolish the Babri mosque, the Congress demanded that the government go in appeal against the acquittal.
The All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) said that it will appeal against the special CBI court verdict in the Babri Masjid demolition case in the high court.
The Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) demanded that the CBI should appeal against the Special CBI court Lucknow’s verdict acquitting all 32 accused in the Babri mosque demolition case of December 6, 1992.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *